Join now - be part of our community!

KD55AG9 stutter/shudder on panning shots

profile.country.GB.title
DAZ517
Explorer

KD55AG9 stutter/shudder on panning shots

Hi,

Love the TV - picture is truly epic at times.

Has anyone else noticed that on a lot of slow panning shots the motion can suffer from slight stuttering/shuddering and just doesn't feel as smooth as you'd hope for a TV of this quality? I seem to notice it across both Sky Q and Netflix/Prime content?

Anyone got any quick fixes or explanations as to why this happens?

Many thanks,

Dario

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

How did you set motionflow to look at movies?

profile.country.GB.title
DAZ517
Explorer

It is default setting...

I had tried multiple settings previously with not much luck.

Thanks

Dario 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Unfortunately there is not such a thing as "default setting"..

You should know which kind of source and frequency are you looking at and change the motion accordingly

I don't remember the exact option you have on AG9 but i.e. on my A1 for a movie at 24p I should set it at Truecinema and Film mode to High in order to let him work correctly

profile.country.GB.title
DAZ517
Explorer

Sorry, what I meant by default was the setting that the tv comes with.

In this case the motionflow is set to custom -

smoothness = 2

Clearness = low

Film mode = auto

There aren't many different settings to change the motionflow from what I can see on the AG9.

Is there a guide to source/ frequency alongside the preferred settings?

Thanks for your advice.

Dario

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It is not so easy to understand the way the motion alghoritm behave adjusting the setting and on newer model there are less options to do so (probably to help customer to deal with it :wink: )

Here you can find some explanation of what each setting effect are https://www.tomsguide.com/us/sony-tv-settings-guide,review-5605-18.html

As a general rules, if you want to see a movie as per director intent you should set motionflow to off for any of the two and film mode to High to detect the right 24p frequency 3:2 pull-down (if the content is embedded in a 50hz signal). 

If you do not like the cinema inherited effect (standard 24p frequency is too slow for rapid changing scene but it is the way the director want you to see on the screen) you can adjust a little the smoothness, but I'd avoid it. For sports you can work on clearness keeping in mind that clearness to max will enable back frame insertion (or BFI) that will cause dimmering the image and flickering.

Hope it helps

profile.country.GB.title
DAZ517
Explorer

Thank you! This helped.