Join now - be part of our community!

KD-65AG8 Dolby Atmos?

profile.country.GB.title
crickster
Explorer

KD-65AG8 Dolby Atmos?

I've tried to find this information everywhere but I can't find a definitive answer.
Is the KD-65AG8 capable of passing Dolby Atmos signal via the ARC HDMI.
I want to buy a dolby atmos soundbar but before I do I want to know if my TV will actually send a dolby atmos signal to the soundbar if I connect via the HDMI arc port?

Thanks 🙂 

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
merseyswine

On the HDMI port on your TV does it say ARC or eARC? And are you talking about Dolby Atmos that comes from a Blu-ray or from Netflix? I am told that you need eARC if you want to get uncompressed Dolby Atmos from a Blu-ray but the ordinary ARC is ok for the Dolby Atmos you get from a streamed service such as Netflix.

profile.country.GB.title
crickster
Explorer

Its standard ARC not eARC and yeah I've also heard the same that standard Dolby Atmos is good for ARC but for uncompressed and Dolby HD audio you need eARC.

I should have said in my post that I had contacted Sony direct but, without sounding rude to the, I wasn't convinced on their answer (or maybe I'm still holding out hope lol).

Here's what they said:

Thank you for contacting Sony support.
With reference to your enquiry regarding your Sony KD-65AG8, we regret to inform you that it does not support Dolby Atmos. You can check the full specifications in the below link:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-oled-tvs-android-/kd-65ag8/specifi...
Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.
Thank you for your enquiry.
Yours sincerely,
Yousr

SONY SUPPORT TEAM
SUPPORT: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en"

profile.country.GB.title
merseyswine

Well, it never hurts to get a second opinion. Take my case, for instance. My Sony AG9 TV supports eARC but my soundbar (a Samsung Q90R), although it supports Dolby Atmos), only has ARC and not eARC. The experts confirmed that. But when I connected it all up to watch a Dolby Atmos Blu-ray, the soundbar display says “eARC” and “Dolby Atmos”. I watched the Normandy landings scene from Saving Private Ryan and the sound blew me away.

profile.country.GB.title
crickster
Explorer

Yeah exactly, sometimes the so called 'experts' are really just customer service agents probably doing the best they can but I can't see them having expert knowledge. Wish now I had gone for the AG9 but still thoroughly impressed with the AG8.

I think I'll just upgrade my Sonos playbar for the Sonos arc anyway and take a risk!

Thanks for taking the time to answer and enjoy your Dolby Atmos 🙂

profile.country.GB.title
sharper9
Explorer

How did you get on crickster?

Just bought AG8 and Sonos Arc.

profile.country.GB.title
crickster
Explorer

Hey .. I've just stuck with the playbar for now but I'd be really interested to hear how you get on though 🙂 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

AG8 does not manage Dolby Atmos, you'll get DD/DD+ from netflix or the like