Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
petersincock

I have been a Sony Customer for quite a while and have just purchased the KDL-43W805C after a price cut at tesco. I was excited to get my hands on it............then i came across this thread.....gulp ! Manufacturer date is 12/2015. Running latest FW. I find "you view" unusable, just way to slow, I get the "Full" pop up too, at the moment thats all i have but to be fair thats enough lol. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Jan2016

and3ys
Explorer

I also have the full HD model kdl 55w805c and I also found youview etc slow
to respond after update! I did a factory reset after the update and it
became bearable/usable! Also if you you the tv side view app on your phone
or tablet it speeds it all up! I really do sympathise with the people who
are having all these issues with there tvs but from what I've read since
joining this forum in October it seems that the 4k versions seem to have a
lot more trouble!
Roll on HDD rec and pip/pap
Sony I'm slowly losing my patience!
profile.country.GR.title
NPatri

Sorry for intruding...

As if the firmware headache is not big enough, do we also have to worry about these things..? 

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/software-bug-leaves-several-mediatek-powered-android-devices-vu...

Shodney

Worry? That would be a massive benefit for us if it affects our models - it'll be a good step towards getting rid of Sony's bloated mess of an OS and replacing it with something that actually works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

NPatri wrote:

Sorry for intruding...

As if the firmware headache is not big enough, do we also have to worry about these things..? 

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/software-bug-leaves-several-mediatek-powered-android-devices-vu...

"Taiwan-based MediaTek, whose chips power several popular Android phones, told us that the vulnerability exists on devices running Android 4.4 KitKat. Explaining how the vulnerability got there in the first place, MediaTek said that a debug feature was created for telecommunication inter-operability testing mainly in China. The smartphone manufacturers, however, didn't disable the debug feature before shipping the smartphones, the company added. MediaTek didn't disclose the names of the manufacturers."

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Duplicate - deleted
YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@petersincock wrote:

I have been a Sony Customer for quite a while and have just purchased the KDL-43W805C after a price cut at tesco. I was excited to get my hands on it............then i came across this thread.....gulp ! Manufacturer date is 12/2015. Running latest FW. I find "you view" unusable, just way to slow, I get the "Full" pop up too, at the moment thats all i have but to be fair thats enough lol. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Jan2016

@petersincock

Press the On/off button on the remote for just over five seconds, until the TV reboots.

Then try YouView again.

Is the responsiveness improved?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
moorfielddt5
Explorer

I purchased a KD49X8309CBU just over a month ago.  I thought the sound was a bit lacking so, thinking sticking with Sony would be a good move, I bought a sound stage to go with it.

My partner struggles to get on with the TV as, being partially deaf, she finds the audio sync and lag make understanding the programme difficult at best. 

Any short term remedies to sort this issue? 

And any possibility of long term firmware fix? 

Occurs on all channels. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@moorfielddt5 wrote:

I purchased a KD49X8309CBU just over a month ago.  I thought the sound was a bit lacking so, thinking sticking with Sony would be a good move, I bought a sound stage to go with it.

My partner struggles to get on with the TV as, being partially deaf, she finds the audio sync and lag make understanding the programme difficult at best. 

Any short term remedies to sort this issue? 

And any possibility of long term firmware fix? 

Occurs on all channels. 

I'm not clear if you are saying that get the lag on the TV itself, or if the delay only started when you added the sound stage? And the model number of this device would help, as Sony make several that could go by this name,

A short-term fix, though, might be to turn on subtitles, which my wife needed, even with our Samsung that was in perfect sync, until I finally persuaded her to use her hearing aid. Presumably your partner is suitably equipped in that area?

profile.country.GB.title
petersincock

@royabrown wrote:

@petersincock wrote:

@petersincock

Press the On/off button on the remote for just over five seconds, until the TV reboots.

Then try YouView again.

Is the responsiveness improved?

Hi

Yes i have done all of that, and it is ok but not for long, i have swapped back to the standard epg for the time being. 

So far in all other areas the TV is ok, really good 3d