Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@kevfarme wrote:

Panasonic here I come.

You will have to be a bit careful returning the Sony here. The new Consumer Rights Act also gives the retailer the right to one go at a repair or replacement, and you have a TV here that is capable of being repaired, for once, at least from the 'no picture' fault back to the usual level of Sony malaise.

Since you want it replaced because of the latter, this hard fault puts you in a more difficult position, paradoxically.

Something along the lines of "OK, this is a crap TV, and I would like a Panny instead. And yes, I know it's a broken crap TV, but even if you mend it, it will still be a crap TV I don't want".

And then trot out the usual arguments. Good luck getting the Panny - persevere and you will succeed!

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking

Futher question as I deliberate whether or not to take my KDL43W809CBU back today.  My lad connected his XBox360 to it last night and got nowhere as straight away he was told he had to do a software update - and as that was taking ages he gave up.  So any Xbox360 issues?

Macmac28
Explorer

I see Curry's have knocked another £300 off the KD55X8509C, now down to £900, hard to believe considering these initially sold for approx £1800!

That should be a warning sign to anyone considering buying one of these sets.

kevfarme

@royabrown wrote:

You will have to be a bit careful returning the Sony here. The new Consumer Rights Act also gives the retailer the right to one go at a repair or replacement, and you have a TV here that is capable of being repaired, for once, at least from the 'no picture' fault back to the usual level of Sony malaise.

Since you want it replaced because of the latter, this hard fault puts you in a more difficult position, paradoxically.

Something along the lines of "OK, this is a crap TV, and I would like a Panny instead. And yes, I know it's a broken crap TV, but even if you mend it, it will still be a crap TV I don't want".

And then trot out the usual arguments. Good luck getting the Panny - persevere and you will succeed!

Well, I took the tv back to Currys this morning expecting to have to battle through crowds of bargain hunting sales hordes :slight_smile:  Hardly anybody in the store at 10:30am.  Hmmm.  That's by the by anyway.  I asked to speak to either the manager or a duty manager.  I did so and this jumped up officious 'person' said that there were procedures to go through and that an engineer would have to come out and take a look.  I stood firm and told him that the tv had only been purchased 30 days ago, not delivered until a few days later anyway and that Currys have a supposed 30 day no quibble return policy.  I then again stated the problems I have had with the set and mentioned this very forum and that as of last night there were 390 pages of people complaining about the problems.  I then siad that the tv was in the car and it was NOT going back to my house.  I said, before he had chance to say anymore, that I did not want a like for like replacement and that I had no faith in Sony and that I wanted a different make of tv.  At this point I think he realised he was not speaking to any old customer who was going to be spoken down to.  He directed me over to a guy at a desk where the return was started.  !5 minutes later a nice young guy wheeled out a Panasonic TX 50" 4k UHD to our car.  I'm just in the process of setting it up now.

I would advise anybody (everybody on here of course) to get these sets taken back.  Do not sit and take what Sony are telling you that a firmware update will sort the problems.  They might, but they might not and for the money people are paying for them, discounted or not, that is not acceptable.  Take them back folks, now.  It's the only way Sony will take notice.

julianblack

Glad to hear you got what you wanted. Hope the panny lives up to your expectations. Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
Pete4L

I'm glad to see some of you guys have succeeded in returning your Sony Android TV's... I have had faults with mine but the last update seems to have ironed out most of them. There are a couple of slight niggles but there wasn't a viable alternative (for me) I didn't like the Panasonic, I'm reluctant to buy another Samsung as my LE40R packed up after just 8 years... (Although I have patched it up by soldering in new capacitors) and the only LG I'd consider is an OLED which is at least 2 years away from being in a reasonable price bracket (circa £1000) .Coupled with the fact I bought my Sony KD-55X8507C from a small independant retailer 80 miles away from me leaves me shuddering with the thought of returning my TV! Looks like I'll have to persevere with the set & hope Sony get their act together. ::smileyplain:

Scallygally
Explorer

Been on the phone today to Currys. nothing Currys can do as the TV is a little older than 3 months. decided to phone Sony and told them about the endless problems i'm having such as freezing, rebooting, lip sync issues, remote control lag, sluggish android software, lack of you view recording. first question the guy asked was "have you checked the batteries in your remote?". what sort of an outfit is this? Sony products used to be great but i wont be buying into their market in the future. god knows where i stand now as Currys couldn't give a toss and the Sony helpline was as much use as a chocolate teapot. I might just take the TV down to the Currys shop and have it out with them. £999 for a complete dud of a TV. I may as well have bought an Alba TV from Argos, at least that would have got the basics right.
kevfarme

@Scallygally wrote:
Been on the phone today to Currys. nothing Currys can do as the TV is a little older than 3 months. decided to phone Sony and told them about the endless problems i'm having such as freezing, rebooting, lip sync issues, remote control lag, sluggish android software, lack of you view recording. first question the guy asked was "have you checked the batteries in your remote?". what sort of an outfit is this? Sony products used to be great but i wont be buying into their market in the future. god knows where i stand now as Currys couldn't give a toss and the Sony helpline was as much use as a chocolate teapot. I might just take the TV down to the Currys shop and have it out with them. £999 for a complete dud of a TV. I may as well have bought an Alba TV from Argos, at least that would have got the basics right.

I have to say, that, at only 3 months old I would think you are well entitled to a full refund still on this tv.  Did you use a credit card to purchase it?  Even if only a partila payment as long as you have paid at least £100 via credit card then they (the credit company) are jointly responsible for the goods.  Do not let Currys off the hook.  Do not let them babozzle you into thinking you have no rights etc.  You do have plenty of conusmer rights in law in the UK.  Be polite but firm with Currys.  Tell them that you are unhappy with your purchase and that you would like a replacement or, if that is not possible then a full refund under the consumer act.  Please look up the consumer act and just get vaguely familiar with it.  The basics are very easy and you should quote them to whoever you speak to.  I went about getting my tv returned by blunt force.  I was still polite and did not swear once.  I stated that I was upset and angry but that this was not the fault of Currys employees, that often helps to get them onside.  If this does you no good then phone Currys help/support staff and request a return authorisation.

For my part I can happily state that the Panasonic I picked up this morning (though it cost me and extra £50 and the officious manager would not even waive this as a good will gesture 😞  ) is absolutely fantastic.  I thought the picture quality was good with the Sony (when it worked) but the Panasonic's is actuall even better!  Standard definition is more like HD on the Sony while HD is incredible.  It's been easier to set up and a lot quicker.  Everything just works so much faster with no lagging.  If anybody is interested I now have a Panasonic TX-50CX700B.  I love it :slight_smile:

kevfarme

I'll only stay on here to lurk for a short time now.  I wish everybody the very best of luck in getting some sort of satisfaction with their respective tv sets.  I'm absolutely not going to gloat because I am out of this mess.  I truly feel for all of you who are still suffering problems 😞  I would like to say a massive thank you to all those who have answered my questions and queries over the last few weeks, cheers guys and girls :slight_smile:

Finally, may I wish you all a very happy new year, I hope it brings you tv sets that just work as they are supposed to amongst other good things of course.

Take care all.

Kevan

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@Scallygally Don't let Currys off the hook. The lack of HDD Recording and PAP advertised at point of sale as well as the unstable system, means the set is not as advertised or fit for purpose. 

I cannot praise John Lewis highly enough, set bought in September, I registered my concerns with them a month ago, when Sony said the missing features would be provided by 24Dec. I agreed then I would wait for the Dec update and see how it was then. JL said they would get in touch with Sony and update me, before the end of the year. They rung me last week, having spoken to Sony and ascertained that the updates were delayed until March next year, with that information they agreed that I should exchange it for something other than Sony after the Christmas break. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.