Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO Gamer Needing Help Bad

SPONGEBOB
Visitor

VAIO Gamer Needing Help Bad

On some of my games, namely Call of Duty, Joint Operations and Battlefield 1942, my VAIO crashes, and shows a blue screen, then restarts.

This happens shortly after when the "game level" is loaded. The screen locks up, the sound disappears and Mr. Blue Screen appears.

I have a VAIO VGC-V2S, which has the following specs:
- P4 HT 3.2 Ghz
- 512mb RAM
- 230Gb HD
- Nvidia GeforceGo FX5700 128mb
- 20" 16:10 Widescreen TFT Monitor

I also have a Linksys Wireless Router, which may be causing the trouble, however, I don't know how to fix it. I also have the Norton Security running aswell. Disabling that does nothing.

So, I am begging the computer experts out there to help me. Ive spent a fair bit of money on games that won't work on this overpriced PC. Help will be greatly appreciated.

22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Hi, SPONGEBOB

I have excaktly the same problem if I play URU.
It seems to be a problem with the game itself.

I had reduce the graphicscard quality. (high quality -> fast) Now, no blue screen crashes anymore.

I would read the README of the game, sometimes you can find there a bit information about problems with graphicscards. Check for ubdates too.

You could also send a bug-report to the maker of the game.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Sponge How are u? I too play BF1942 and Call and cannot beleive you are having trouble with hardware that could power the making of Terminator 4. My guess is the same as Sebs that the games themselves are causing the crashes. Get Partition Pro and divide your Harddrive up say 130gig for games only 50gig x2 for work and backup. Uninstall the games. Ensure you have defragged over and over until it defrags in a few minutes (takes hours). Then install your games again or any new games. Look to get the latest patches that have a swag of bug fixes. Bf 1942 is now patched from 1.45 to 1.6 now and you can get a reliable set patches from Battlefield central http:/www.battlefieldcentral.com Once patched up you can get Desert Combat 7.0 stand alone which barks. Do the same with Call. Many people don't condition their harddrive because once you have it happy you only need to defrag occassionally usually because of the fraggy lossy bullshitty internet

SPONGEBOB
Visitor

Bugger. Am I going to be forced to clean out my hard drive? All my games etc are updated and what not. It is so annoying. If it starts to happen to any of my other games I think I will have to consider it....

Thanks for your suggestions.

EDIT: I am going to defrag both my drives, and I am also going to search through the games readmes. I will see if I can find anything that would cause a problem.

SPONGEBOB
Visitor

Defraging my drives did no good. However, I noticed these three games use a program called Punkbuster. In CoD, I could join a Non-PB Server with no problems. However, a server with PB enabled crashed my computer. I manualed updated the CoD PB, and it worked. However, it never worked with Joint Ops. Any suggestions?

kee-lo_

How about downloading the new nVidia Foreware drivers?
Make sure you use the XP ones though

SPONGEBOB
Visitor

nVidia Forceware? Where can I get this?

Hmm...I have tried this actually, and it doesn't work. The Card in my VAIO needs SONY made nVidia drivers, which haven't been released yet.

kee-lo_

SPONGEBOB
Visitor

Unfortunately those drivers don't work with the Sony VAIO systems, because of the type of card. I would need Sony drivers, but they haven't released an updated version, and it is very rare for them to do...

ZakG
Visitor

I have thesame problem with FIFA 2005 on my vaio RA304, with an Nvidia Geforce 6600 card with 256 mb ddr sdram.

When it is loading something or sometimes exiting, the computer crashes, blue screen comes up, restarts.

It only happens sometimes when i am playing, not every time.

i have no idea what it is, but when paying £1699 for a desktop, you dont expect it to do this. You expect it to work perfectly.

Any 1 got any ideas out there.

By the way, the drivers on the nVidia site do work for vaio's or they do for me.