Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio G11 - motherboard fault?

profile.country.en_GB.title
dabryan90
Visitor

Vaio G11 - motherboard fault?

I've got a Vaio G11 (12" standard-aspect ultraportable). It's about four years old, and has recently started crashing regularly (ever couple of hours; sometimes more often), in such a way which suggests a hardware fault. The screen display freezes, any audio being output repeats the same note over and over, and typing on the keyboard or using the touchpad doesn't register at all. The only thing which can be done is to turn it off by holding down the power button until it cuts out.

It originally came with Vista Business installed and about a year ago I upgraded it to Win 7 Pro (32-bit). It had never given me any trouble up until a couple of months ago.

I've had a look in the Windows event log to see if anything is being recorded when it crashes, and there is nothing there - further indications that it's likely to be hardware-related. I've run the Vaio diagnostics, and the Windows memory tester, and both have come back clear. I've checked that the air vents aren't blocked there is nothing to interrupt the airflow to the vents on the bottom and side.

I used to have a Vaio T1XP which develeoped a fault with the same symptoms, and that was caused by components delaminating from the motherboard due to flexing. I don't know whether the G11 suffers from similar issues - I can't find anything on the internet, but it wasn't a particularly popular model so this doesn't indicate anything one way or the other.

Can anyone advise whether this is likely to be a motherboard fault, or if they've come across it before and found the cause to be something else?

Thanks

0 REPLIES 0