Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio AR61M upgrade to Win 7?

profile.country.en_GB.title
vijsingh
Visitor

Vaio AR61M upgrade to Win 7?

Has anybody installed Windows 7 on the AR61M? (full install using Win 7 disk, not the upgrade disk) If so, do all the features work? (shortcut/media buttons, webcam, card readers, blu-ray etc.)

If no one has done it, anyone know if it is possible?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
wilburt99
Visitor

I have made a clean Win7 install on my AR71M and it works 100% OK.
There is some work to be done. You have to download and install programmes and drivers for your AR61M from Vaio.
Good luck amigo!

vijsingh
Visitor

I have made a clean Win7 install on my AR71M and it works 100% OK. 
There is some work to be done. You have to download and install programmes and drivers for your AR61M from Vaio.
Good luck amigo!

Hi, Can you please list the drivers and software that was needed.

wilburt99
Visitor

You will find it here:
http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-AR61M

Open '2008Q1 Utilities' and install (in this order!):
'Sony Shared Library 4.1'
’Vaio Event Service’
’Vaio Control Center’
’Vaio Original Function Settings’
and then
'Setting Utility Series'
'Shared Library'
'Utilities'
'Graphics Driver (NVidia)
and finally
under Windows 7 'Vaio Update' and the Ricoh driver if you have built-in webcamera.

Quite simple, my dear Watson!

vijsingh
Visitor

Thank you.

Am I right thinking that my recovery hidden partition will be wiped when installing 7?

wilburt99
Visitor

It won't.
Unfortunately not; in my opinion. The partition is still there, but I succeded in some way to format it and I use the 11.4 GB for storing varia. I think it can be made better.

vijsingh
Visitor

Now i'm back on my laptop I have checked that link that you posted but I cannot find most of the drivers you listed.

I cant seem to find '2008Q1 Utilities' anywhere, from the list under 'origally installed' I can see 'Graphics Driver' & 'Camera Driver Ricoh' but nothing else from your list.

wilburt99
Visitor

Sorry amigo!
You shall download 'Original Utilities Package'. In this package you will find the listed '2008Q1 Utilities' and in which you will find the listed files. (A Vaio Kinder Egg s.t.s..)

vijsingh
Visitor

Right, I've found most of them but not ’Vaio Original Function Settings’, 'Shared Library' & 'Utilities'.

From your list I have:
Sony Shared Library 4.1
VAIO Event Service 3.3
VAIO Control Center 2.1
Setting Utility Series 3.1
Graphics Driver (NVIDIA)
Camera Ricoh 6
Vaio Update

In the Original Utilities Package there was also:
Appmon Utility 2.3
Battery Checker 2.3
Sony Video Shared Library 3.3
Vaio Power Management 2.3

wilburt99
Visitor

’Vaio Original Function Settings’ is there. If 'Shared Library' & 'Utilities' isn't there I don't know why. I have installed all the listed software and have downloaded it from Vaio.
You have to work my way; trial & error.