Join now - be part of our community!

Recovery disk(s) for Vaio VGN-FE31H

profile.country.en_GB.title
duck25
Visitor

Recovery disk(s) for Vaio VGN-FE31H

I've tried a system recovery using the discs I created when I bought my laptop, but the process keeps stopping and i get an error msg "failed to read the image file because a stream reading error occurred. Recover your computer again" over and over again. I'm assuming it might be a problem with the recovery disk and I've tried to contact Sony by email to ask for another one, but when I submit my query on Sony's website I get an error msg and I can't submit my query...can anyone help (ideally, Sony themselves!)? The OS is Windows XP 2005 with Media Center. Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Yes, it does sound like a corrupt recovery disc.

Try this before you approach Sony again: -

Reset the BIOS Defaults

Empty the DVD drive and close down normally

Restart and when you see the first Vaio logo, tap F2 repeatedly.  This should open the BIOS screens.

Choose to reset the BIOS default values, save and exit.

Start the Recovery from the hidden hard disc partition

Restart the Vaio and when you see the first Vaio logo, tap F10 repeatedly

This should open the Recovery Wizard (as with the DVDs) and you can start the 'Full Recovery' from here.  Make sure you are on mains power as the recovery can take some time.

If this works, make another set of recovery discs as soon as you have updated the system.

If the hard disc recovery partition is also corrupt, then you will have to contact Sony Support on the Out-of-Warranty premium phone line and order a set of replacement recovery discs.  This is a user forum and Sony will not reply here.

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
duck25
Visitor

Thanks-unfortunately after doing what you suggested the recovery application still asks for the recovery disc...I guess I need a new one.