Join now - be part of our community!

HELP needed with K215B utilities and hotkeys!

Kei
Visitor

HELP needed with K215B utilities and hotkeys!

Hi all VAIO fans

I've recently installed a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro, and consequently all of the data would be erased, including the drivers and utilities that were preinstalled in the system.

Thus I would like someone who has a K215B system to send me their copies of the more updated drivers/utilies for the PC.
I am aware of the downloads available in the VAIO-Link section, but believe me these are old and haven't been updated for nearly a year now.
I remember that the drivers that I had with my K215B were current to August 2004 including the video driver.

Can someone who owns a K215B please send me the most recent drivers and utilities and NOT those available on VAIO-Link?
My e-mail is pochykei@yahoo.com

Thank you. ^_^

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

If Sony have not updated their drivers, then it is unlikely that another user will have more updated drivers.

If you need the latest drivers, then download them from the manufacturers websites, and in the case of ATi drivers, use Omega Drivers (with caution).

Kei
Visitor

I've solved the problem with the video and pointing device drivers, but the Sony utilities and hotkeys files won't function properly.

I've installed the Sony utilities, the notebook setup and also the Hotkey utilities, and they're not working!

What's wrong with it?!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Kei

Install

1) Sony Notebook Setup
2) Sony Utilities
3) Sony Hotkeys

Kei
Visitor

Nope, nothing helped. I installed them in that order but it treats it as though they're not there at all.
I've tried running notebook setup and it just does nothing. The HKWnd and HKServ processes are running in the background but nothing happens with I use my hotkeys.

However, there are some that work. The sleep hotkey, i.e. Fn + F12, and the Scroll Lock hotkey, i.e. Fn + Num Lk, work. Those work. But the rest don't.
The mute, volume adjust, brightness adjust, LCD/TV adjust all don't work. Apparently these are the ones that show up on the LCD, you know, the white and black display thingy near the bottom of the screen.

Is there something that my VAIO lacks which is essential for those to function properly?

Jeez, I only just installed a new OS, how come everything falls apart now with these stupid Sony utilities and drivers? It's like Sony is preventing users from installing clean OS or upgrades onto the VAIO.

More help if available, please. HELP!!!

Oh yeah btw, when I run the notebook setup exe, the SNSetup process goes crazy, does nothing and stays in the process taking up 100% of my resources.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Thats probably the reason why it doesn't work, it doesn't like using other OSes which is a real pain

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

That's strange, because I had burned my own Windows CD with the tutorial on ClubJAMES. And there was no problem to install the drivers from VAIO-Link.

Kei
Visitor

I've only installed a clean XP Pro. There's nothing more, it's just that. Why isn't it accepting the utilities?

I downloaded the stuff direct from VAIO-Link, the preinstall stuff. What do I need to install anyway?
There's a whole list of stuff to install but I only want to get back my Hotkeys working again.

Here's the stuff available from the VAIO-Link downloads:

http://home.ripway.com/2004-12/216036/WhatNow.jpg

I've nothing that can be preventing successful installation. No virus, no spy-ware, it's a new OS.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

No idea, some drivers are packed in a installer package and some not. If is there no installer package, then there must be a inf. file.
Rightclick on them, normally you see in the context menu "install". Check the utilities package again. Maybe you have forgot to install a driver.:smileyconfused:

Kei
Visitor

Have anyone ever installed a clean copy of XP Pro on their K215B? How did you go about reinstalling the components for the hotkey function?

By the way, at the boot up, I'm always getting the OS choice menu, between XP Pro and XP Home, every time I start up. But when I select XP Home, it says that the files are missing etc. and that it can't proceed and then it boots up.

I don't know why XP Home is in there because I've completely wiped out and formatted the PC's past partitions and I've just installed XP Pro onto 1 new partition.