Join now - be part of our community!

Graphics driver update (ati) 8.723.8.2 seems like it will never end

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
themanning
New

Graphics driver update (ati) 8.723.8.2 seems like it will never end

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Vaio E-series machine. When running the Vaio Care software I was prompted to install several Windows Updates as well as several driver updates. So I did. I have been running the Graphics driver update (ati) 8.723.8.2 for nearly 6 hours now and it hasn't finished yet. It seems like it will never end.

I have done some google searching and haven't come across the problem which suggests to me that it isn't a known or a common issue.

Does anyone know how long this should take and whether or not this sounds suspicious?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

themanning

Note: For what it is worth the machine is a VPCEB3L0E and the point at which it is stuck is the Vaio Update window's 'Check for Updates' tab/section. It is telling me that is installing the the aforementioned driver and the progress bar shows a typical windows loading bar...green light moving from left to right across the bar.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
themanning
New

I didn't get an answer so in case anyone stumbles across this...

I cancelled the update by stopping the process in task manager after it was running for 24 hours or so. I have since restarted the machine and there does not appear to be any adverse side affects so far.

By looking at the driver version from Device Manager it looks like the new version did in fact install since it states 8.723.8.2 as the version. I didn't personally check beforehand but the driver downloads page for my machine (http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/info/info.aspx?l=en_GB&url=VAIO/Original/ATI_Gr...) says that the following version should have been pre-installed- 8.672.1.3

I will leave the thread open for now and will come back if anything goes wrong.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
themanning
New

I didn't get an answer so in case anyone stumbles across this...

I cancelled the update by stopping the process in task manager after it was running for 24 hours or so. I have since restarted the machine and there does not appear to be any adverse side affects so far.

By looking at the driver version from Device Manager it looks like the new version did in fact install since it states 8.723.8.2 as the version. I didn't personally check beforehand but the driver downloads page for my machine (http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/info/info.aspx?l=en_GB&url=VAIO/Original/ATI_Gr...) says that the following version should have been pre-installed- 8.672.1.3

I will leave the thread open for now and will come back if anything goes wrong.