Join now - be part of our community!

GeForce 8400m Drivers - Vista

profile.country.en_GB.title
Kenno1987
Visitor

GeForce 8400m Drivers - Vista

Hello all,

I've recently been given a Sony Vaio all in one desktop to have a look at by a friend who thought it was broken.  It model number is PCG-282M although this doesn't seem very common, and sony's after sale support page doesn't appear to offer support for this specific model.  However when I enter my serial number into the support page it logs me in as having a sony vaio model number: VGC-LM1M so at least i can get in.

I've quickly narrowed the problem down to the graphics card and as it turns out all i need it the right drivers for the nVidia GeForce 8400m GT to run on Windows Vista 32Bit.  When I check the device manager it tells me I'm running Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.

I've been looking for the right drivers for about a week now, there's loads of info on the net about this but none that helped, and every time I find something that I think is right it either makes no difference or it crashes the computer on startup.  The graphics drivers I can get from sony (for the VGC-LM1M) give me the blue screen as soon as windows tries to load.

Any ideas where I can find what I need?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Mark,

VGC-LM1M is the correct model type and should be printed on the screen surround - bottom-left.

PCG-282M is not a model number and will not appear on any Sony website - it is just the chassis designtion as sometimes more than one model type uses the same chassis.

There have been no updated graphics drivers from Sony so the originally installed Graphics Driver NVIDIA - 7.15I - 7.15.11.5609  should work OK. 

You can download it from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGC-LM1M

then right-click on the downloaded .ZIP file and choose 'Extract All'.  Run the SETUP.EXE from the extracted file.

If it doesn't install and you continue to get BSODs then perhaps you do have a nVidia chip fault.  There is a possibility you have a known fault associated with your model and you may like to read this statement by Sony: -

http://genesis.sony-europe.com/instranet/ccil_sony/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=35880&l=en_GB&m=VGC-...

If your symptoms fit those described, you may choose to telephone Sony Support - unfortunately it must be on the premium rate number for Vaios out of warranty.

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
sajid.hameed
Visitor

after installing drivers system got stuck and after reeboot nothing appear after  boot screen.

ANy idea how to get a recovery idsk for os and drivers for vaio vgc-LM1M????

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Which drivers were you installing?

I take it that you did not make a set of Recovery Discs when you bought the Vaio?

Try tapping F10 repeatedly when you see the boot screen - this should start the System Recovery from the hidden Recovery Partition.  If you have formatted the hidden partition, you will need to contact Vaio Support and purchase a set of Recovery Discs.

:thinking: