Join now - be part of our community!

Claim of physical damage on Motherboard, Help please (25/1/11) - No Help needed now, Sony Repair done (28/2/11)

profile.country.en_GB.title
imrkhan45
Visitor

Claim of physical damage on Motherboard, Help please (25/1/11) - No Help needed now, Sony Repair done (28/2/11)

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help/advise me or clarify to me of what I can or can’t do please.

I have a 3 year old VGN-AR61S with an extended warranty which is coming to an end.

I have had a few faults with the laptop which I have not reported as it was not a major problem to me, until recently a new problem happened.

The SD card reader hasn’t worked for over a year or more. The reader works in action, i.e card clicking in and out but the computer does not read the card.

The Battery charge doesn’t last long. But I was fine with this aswell as I always use the mains power to get around this.

But recently my wireless switch was playing up. While on the 'on' position it turns off by itself and turns on by itself.

I sent the laptop to be checked and repaired as everyone needs the net. The company that is doing the repairs Flextronics says that I have to replace the motherboard and its not covered by warranty cause it physical damage and will cost me around £400+.

After asking further questions it turns out all of the damage is covered by the warranty bar one.

The SD card reader has a clip or a spring that has come out of place and snapped. Not sure exactly what it is. But it is classed as physical damage. The repair company Flextronics cannot do the repair on warranty as Sony will claim it is physical damage.

The company doing the repair said there is no physical damage to the motherboard, everything else is fine just this clip/spring problem.

I can honestly say I have used the SD card reader as designed too. I have never forced anything into it and the action (clicking in and out) has always worked, not sure if it does after opening now. But I have a USB reader so I always just used that. it not like i even used it alot.

I explained this to Fextronics and they agree (the person I spoke to) that it should be covered. But it is Sony’s call and the repair company has escalated the issue to them and I will receive a call from Sony to discuss.

I have since read many horror stories and complaints about this sort of physical damage issues on Flextronics and Sony. There was ne person who didn’t want the repair done and Sony would not send the laptop back until the repair was done and said they will dispose of the laptop now! not sure how true, but there are alot of complaints.

I feel there is such a fine line on physical damage and design fault or part issue; I hope Sony will be flexible on this problem and come to some sort of compromise.

I mean I can buy a wireless card for under 10 pounds. Surely card readers should not be attached to the motherboard to avoid these sorts of situations?

Anyhow I await a call today. Any suggestions or advice will be helpful please.

I am not one to complain. But I feel let down as a customer who has spent a lot of money on the laptop and warranty to be done over by a SD card reader and inflexible rules.

Thanks for reading and advice.

Imran

Message was edited by: imrkhan45

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Imran,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

All I can do is pass your information on to Sony but before I can do that I need you repair reference number..

Could you post the reference number please.?

imrkhan45
Visitor

Hi,

I had called Flextronics. I called them today regarding the exact technical details of what the problem is.

I wanted to know what in detail was broken and how I could of broken it.

The Lady I spoke to was helpful and said she will speak to the engineer and a manager.

She has just called me back to say they will do the repair free of charge!

Excellent but strange news. I am not going to argue with that.

I asked how that came about. They said they spoke internally and to a contact within Sony and got it approved as 'good will'....

I have no idea what gone on, but I am happy some common sense and decency has been used to make the right decision. But it was hard work, many calls to chase.

Thanks for reading and thanks to the  phone people that helped me at Flextronics.

imrkhan45
Visitor

Hi Thalamus.

Thanks for your reply and many thanks for trying to help. My reference number is: 5036515.

I was called by Sony today (1/2/11) in regards to my repair following the escalation.

In short I was told the SD card reader is broken and it is not covered by the warranty because it is physical damage by me.

It was a long conversation and I was trying to back my cause by informing them that I have only used the card reader as intended and that the action of the card reader was working (clicking in and ejecting out) but the computer did not read the card.

My question was what was exactly is broken and how could I break it from normal use or even abnormal use?

How can I be blamed for this fault, what is the proof that I have done this damage?

Because they didn’t have the full details or the laptop, the person I spoke to said they will ask the repair company Flextronics for details of the SD card damage.

They suggested abnormal use, which I said I have not done.

He said he will try to help me and see what he can do from Sony’s end. It is not something normally done by he will try.

I then later called Flextronics to see if I can find out what exactly the problem is. Sony had not contacted them yet.

I was not sure the person I spoke to was technical enough to tell me in full detail, but they told me that clip was broken.

I asked what is the function of this clip. She said that it is the clip that keep the SD card in! I was and am still shocked by this.

I 110% know that the action of the card reader (clicking in and ejecting out) was working when the laptop left me.

I asked could it have broke when they opened/analysed the laptop. of course the answer was no.

What am I to think of this?

Again there are parts on the motherboard that are damaged and covered by warranty but they will not repair it because of this one fault.

And now what is broken was not broken when I sent the machine out.

I know the information given to me is not correct. But what can I do?

I am extremely disappointed and let down by all this. I am searching for a email/address to contact Sony about this case.

I am shocked by both customer services and how harsh they are on this – I have had to push them with questions to get information and to get this escalated.

Couple of the people I have spoken to have related to me and understood, but what can they do?

I am thinking to just to forget the repair and get my laptop back.

I  was unnecessarily made to pay 58 pounds to ship the laptop when I didn’t have to. Now I won’t get this back if I have the laptop returned without repair and my warranty will be invalid.

I will wait to see if Sony comeback with anything before I act. But now i dont think they will do the repair on warranty if Flextronics claim the clip is broken when it was not.

I cannot believe a multi million pound company like Sony would do this and be so hard.

I have spent £1200+ on the laptop and warranty to ensure I got the best.

I have no idea what Flextronics have done, and it appears there is no way I can take this further with them.

This is the last time I buy any Sony product I have to say. And if you have read to this point – before buying anything you should check what is covered as warranty is usless.

I may pay for it and try to claim it back, but I feel I have been trapped into do so.

The price of the repair is half the price of what the machine costs now. I just wanted my wireless sorted…

There has been no care shown, decency, common sense, logic or customer service. They could have said as other parts are damaged so we will cover it as a good will gesture.

Why would I break my own £1000 pound laptop, they have no proof of this at all. If the clip is broken - is this not a major design flaw that its connected to the motherboard?

If I got the laptop repaired I would never use the SD card reader again for fear of the clip breaking. It’s crazy.

Thalamus If you can help many thanks, but you feel this is way too much and you cannot and don’t want to help it is fine.

I don’t blame you. if you can supply me with any contacts or emails, that would be great.

Thanks for reading all. I wll post any updates and I will post on other forums now too.

Imran

imrkhan45
Visitor

Some extra information on this issue.

I called Flextronics back to get a refund of my shipment charge.

I was told I would not get this back because Sony did the repair as ‘Good Will’ and my warranty was invalid.

I asked if my machine will still be under warranty when I get it back as it still had time left on my warranty? they said it will be covered for 3 months and however long I have left on my warranty.

I said this doesn’t make sense, once the repair is done I have my warranty again…

Also the whole point of  ‘Good Will’ is to cover what wasn’t not covered and what was covered will still be covered.

I asked if I then have to pay for what was covered before now? I was told they will find out and call me back.

Couple to a few days went by. During this time I called again to get no answers. I called again to be suddenly asked for my card number to refund my shipping charge.

I ask about the rest and I was told there will be no charge.

Finally after 3 weeks I got my laptop back. I didn’t have a chance to use it for a couple of days, but I sat down to finally to use it.

I noticed they replaced some plastic bits that were damaged before I sent the laptop out (a port cover very small and minor piece of plastic).

Why didn’t  they not claim physical damage on this? cause it cost nothing?

Also for the delay they sent me a complementary ‘Viao branded’ screen cleaner (like a glasses cleaner).

I thought I would give my screen a wipe with it and I noticed something - I had either dead pixels or dust trapped in the screen!

You can imagine my feelings.

I called Flextronics back and they said I had to call Sony again.

I did and they asked for some pictures, which I sent them.

I was worried again, as they suggested that it could be physical damage again.

I said this clearly was not present before the repair, that they didn’t mention this as a repair, etc, etc…

They then said they will do it as a free repair, unless Flextronics prove its physical damage.

I agreed  – they sent it back repaired within a few days. Just couple of text messages to say they got it and when they were sending it back (25/2/11).

I got the exact same letter again. ‘Sorry for the delay’ and another a complementary screen wipe!

One full month and countless calls done the line.

I was/am happy with the job done on the machine. But not the screen. On start up I notice that the bottom of the screen is slightly brighter.

Also there is one small bright patch toward the top on the edge.

But once in windows up and running this is not noticeable or not there.

Today (28/2/11) I got a call from Sony asking for some feedback….